The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) said its investigations into Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s RM2.6 billion as well as SRC International are independent, even as critics insist the prime minister will escape punishment as long as he is in power.
The investigations are in their final stage and the results will be handed over to Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi by the end of the month, MACC chairman Tan Sri Abu Kassim confirmed in an exclusive interview with Sinar Harian published today.
He said they were the two most challenging cases he has faced in his entire career, and the investigation team has carried out their duties as best and as professionally as possible.
“Even though there are all sorts of perceptions about these issues, as long as I am the chief commissioner, I will carry out investigations professionally. When we have a case, we will present our recommendations in the investigation paper. And they are truly based on merit.
“No other quarters will influence us and the investigation’s direction. That was the promise I made to the MACC officers in a meeting,” Abu Kassim was quoted as saying.
He said Malaysians will learn the truth behind the RM2.6 billion transferred to Najib’s personal bank accounts when the time was right.
“We hold onto the principle of carrying out our work professionally. Our responsibility in the eyes of the law is to investigate and find out what happened, based on the witnesses we meet and interview.
“Whatever we unearth is included in the investigation papers. And it will be presented to the attorney-general, alongside our views. We will not budge from that,” he said.
He said that while the investigation had been slightly disrupted, his team performed their duties professionally. “It was a lengthy process, and the most challenging one, involving many quarters. For SRC International alone, we called more than 90 witnesses, while for the RM2.6 billion donation, it involved many quarters who were not in the country.
“I admit investigations were disrupted, but we investigate regardless of a person’s position, post, colour and status. Even Najib has had his witness statement recorded to help in both cases,” Abu Kassim said, adding that once the investigation papers are submitted to the attorney-general, it would be up to him whether to press any charges.
Najib had said the RM2.6 billion deposited into his personal bank accounts was a donation and the transactions were all above board. The prime minister also denied the RM2.6 billion was from any public fund nor had any link to state-owned investment firm 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
The Wall Street Journal had alleged in a July report that the money came from firms linked to 1MDB, which Putrajaya has denied. – December 24, 2015.