Although gunning for a year-end deadline, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) said today it will not sacrifice the integrity of its investigations on the RM2.6 billion controversy and SRC International Sdn Bhd just to complete them within the targeted timeframe.
MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed said the agency intends to have all its bases covered and that this could take time, especially in the case of the RM2.6 billion donation, which involved overseas transactions.
“According to Abu Kassim, on the RM2.6 billion donation, the MACC needs time to complete this probe because many transactions took place abroad, which means Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA) is needed.
“Therefore, the MACC will need time to get the cooperation of several foreign parties, he said,” the MACC said in a statement here, quoting from Abu Kassim who spoke at a function in Johor earlier.
Again citing Abu Kassim, the MACC said it fully intends to expedite both investigations but will not compromise these cases when it comes to the gathering of evidence and relevant witnesses.
The commission went on to say that it is an independent organisation and will take into account the wishes of all parties, including that stated in the October release by the Conference of Malay Rulers.
“The MACC guarantees that its investigations are done freely, with integrity and professionally, in accordance with the MACC Act 2009,” it said.
The MACC is investigation the RM2.6 billion political donation that was recently revealed to have been deposited into the private accounts of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
The agency has confirmed the existence of the funds but denied that they originated from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), the state-owned fund also embroiled in controversy following unproven allegations of misappropriation.
In a recent statement, the MACC said the funds came from Middle Eastern donors.
MACC’s probe on SRC International Sdn Bhd, a former 1MDB subsidiary, centers on the RM4 billion loan it reportedly took from the Retirement Fund Inc (KWAP).
On August 22, the agency said it was seeking the of three individuals for its probe, namely billionaire businessman Low Taek Jho as well as SRC directors Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil and Datuk Suboh Md Yassin.
Since then, Low’s representative has reportedly said that the businessman will cooperate with the MACC.
Source – http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/macc-says-wont-compromise-rm2.6b-src-probes-for-speed#sthash.wNcpSb0i.dpuf